Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cabo Fresh Taco


It all started two days ago when I was driving to work and trying to figure out where to grab some breakfast/lunch before going in - I passed the strip of restaurants on Sumter (M Cafe, Greek Boys, etc.) and saw a new logo: Cabo Fresh Taco. I didn't stop - no parking, and I didn't know if it would be fast enough to suit my needs. But I did go yesterday and I was absolutely impressed (with a few criticisms, of course).

The menu is solely made up of tacos with a few exceptions like fresh guacamole, salsa, queso fuego and..cabo pups, their housemade hush puppies with roasted corn, red peppers and jalapenos! They were running a special of 2 beef or chicken tacos and a drink for $6.99 but I wanted fish so I got one taco and a drink for about that price. I ordered Grilled Mahi taco with cilantro lime aioli with pico and slaw. The taco reminded me of a California/Mex place - the mahi and the cilantro were definitely more West Coast but they used a double corn tortilla and a presentation like authentic Mexican. The taste was amazing - fresh, flavorful but not overdone, and each plate comes with chips and salsa (which was so good). I have 2 complaints: first, there was a clump of kosher salt on one of my chips which I did not see until it was in my mouth; secondly, I would have liked cilantro and radishes on my taco in the traditional style. Next time I will try the fried grouper taco or the panko encrusted fried shrimp (with jalapeno chutney!). I brought home some guacamole and it was great- made fresh every day and changes price according to the market. I think that is a good sign. It is such a fun, fresh twist to food in Columbia and every menu item looks so good. When El Burrito sounds too drab and undressed and Monterrey sounds terrible as usual, try it for lunch (only open 7am - 3pm).

No comments:

Post a Comment