Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer Pasta Salad


One thing I have been aiming to do in my eating is to make sure my vegetables aren't losing their enzymes and their nutritious qualities. I have said before that I read once that 118 degrees is the maximum temp for veggies to retain their health benefits. Yesterday I needed a quick lunch before hitting the road to see Veronica and Isaac and I had Piccolini (tiny farfalle) in my cupboard and some veggies in my fridge. I cooked the pasta and strained it, then tossed in light olive oil, some minced garlic (2 cloves), diced tomato (1 vine ripe tomato), a few sliced baby portabellas (maybe 4 or 5) and some spinach (a handful, chiffonade). Don't forget the s & p. I also had some sliced Boar's Head Havarti from Publix deli so I roughly tore it into little pieces and tossed - it was perfect! The veggies were just warm from being mixed with the freshly cooked pasta but they weren't COOKED. Still had full taste, full nutrients, and my oh my it made for a tasty summer side to a turkey sandwich. Today I had the pasta as my main course with a bowl of fresh cherries on the side (on sale at Publix for $2.49/lb). Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment